Match reports 2020/21 Season


Brackley Town  2-0  Darlington    5 Jan 2021

Saints’ run of form continues

Saints recorded a fifth win in six games with a goal in each half.  Darlington enjoyed a greater share of possession but rarely produced a goal threat on a cold but still, clear evening at a deserted, floodlit St James Park.

“We had a terrific start that gave us a platform to build on,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “It wasn’t easy as Darlington made it really tough for us and they will feel a bit disappointed because you can make a case that they maybe deserved to take something away from the game.  They have asked questions of us but it’s a win we are pleased about and a strong performance.  It’s a bonus to get the clean-sheet.”


Brackley Town  1-1  Kettering Town  2 Jan 2021

Saints strike back late

This Northamptonshire local derby was fast and furious and fiercely competitive and at times had an unpleasant edge.  Surprisingly this was only the second ever competitive fixture between the two sides.  It finished level as did the first encounter exactly 12 months previously.



Brackley Town 3-2  Gloucester City    28 Dec 2020

Saints silence leaders’ roar

Saints scored late against runaway league leaders Gloucester City to record a fourth successive league win and jump four places to 8th in the final action of 2020.  Two goals from Shane Byrne and a 7th goal of the season for Lee Ndlovu deservedly claimed the points in a tight game of few clear cut chances.


Chesterfield  0-0  Brackley Town     19 Dec 2020

(Chesterfield won 4-3 on penalties)

Saints fall in dramatic shoot-out

Brackley’s involvement in the FA Trophy ended in a penalty shoot-out at National League Chesterfield after a spirited and battling performance.

“With the results they have had lately we knew it would be tough, but we grew into the game second half and I think we had the best chance of the game with Ndlovu, “Kevin Wilkin said.  “It could have swung our way but the belief that the players showed to keep going after they’ve been a little bit under the cosh.  We could have gotten ourselves into a better position in the penalties but we just didn’t quite see it through.”

Penned in during a first half dominated by The Spireites, Saints grew in confidence through the second period and enjoyed good moments with Lee Ndlovu’s header from Jimmy Armson’s cross in the 90th minute an opportunity to have edged through.

Danny Lewis was called into action as the home side peppered his goal with shots from distance but the defence stood firm and as the second half wore on Chesterfield rather ran out of ideas.  Lewis made a fine stop from Liam Mandeville when through one on one and it was the Brackley keeper who was so nearly the hero of the sudden death shoot-out after 90 minutes plus 5 added minutes of stale-mate.

Lewis saved two of the first three penalties, Jimmy Armson putting Saints ahead after three spot-kicks before Chesterfield converted three successive penalties as Saints missed with two to send The Spireites through to the fourth round.


Brackley Town:  Lewis, Myles, Roberts, Byrne, Coleman, Dean, York, Murombedzi, Chambers, Ndlovu, Chambers (Mitford 67), Armson.     Subs unused:  Hinds, Noon, Worby.

Chesterfield:  Letheren, Carline, Yarney (Taylor 60), Evans, Maguire, Mandeville (Asante 56), McCourt, Boden, Whelan, Smith (Weston 73), Hollis.     Subs unused:  Buchanan, Rowley, Cropper, Tyler Denton.

Referee:    Garreth Rhodes          Assistants:    Daniel Jarvis and Martin Chester   4th Official:   Wayne Cooper

Attendance:  BCD