Guiseley  2-1  Brackley Town      13/10/18

Late Lions strike denies Saints

The high winds howling around Nether Moor was likely to be a big factor in the game and so it proved as Brackley visited Guiseley for the first time since 2015.

Having fallen behind to a 9th minute goal struck sweetly by Kingsley James Saints were level within three minutes as Luke Fairlamb scored direct from a corner, his in-swinging kick finding the far corner of Joe Green’s goal.

Shaun Jeffers, making his first start, worked an opportunity only to see his shot come back off the post with Green beaten before Matt Lowe drove towards goal shrugging off one challenge but shooting just wide.  Another Lowe effort could only force a corner after good play by Lee Ndlovu before Connor Hall was unable to keep his header down as he won the aerial battle.

Having had the better of the first period restricting Guiseley to a rare sighting on goal, the second half produced few chances at either end.  Luke Fairlamb’s pace was always a threat and only Green’s touch saved The Lions after Fairlamb broke through.  For the home side substitute Felix Kaine mis-cued close to goal when well placed.

With the wind seemingly the winner the game was heading for a draw but the finish had a twist and a cruel one for Brackley.  Alex Purver’s free-kick deep into the penalty area was not held falling for substitute Paul Clayton to tap in for an 89th minute winner for the home side.

“We won’t sit around feeling sorry for ourselves,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “I made some changes to the starting line-up today and there were lots of positives in our performance but we didn’t get the result.  We denied them chances on goal but lacked a ruthlessness in front of goal ourselves.”


Brackley Town:  Lewis, Murombedzi, G.Walker, Byrne, Hall, Dean, Fairlamb, Lowe (Nti 79), Ndlovu, Jeffers (Armson 68), A.Walker.   Subs unused:  Myles, Franklin, Noon.

Guiseley:  Green, Moyo, Heaton, Purver, Thornton, Halls, Smith (Felix 52), James, Odejayi (Clayton 80), Hatfield, Harvey (Morrison 71).   Subs unused:  Walters, Dyche.

Referee:  John Matthews       Assistants:  Neil Howlett and Martyn Fryer

Attendance:  751