Brackley Town  2-3  Marine     FA Cup Q3   6/10/18

Marine sink Saints

Marine knocked Brackley Town out of the cup at a rainy St James Park.  Kevin Wilkin was brutally open about his side’s performance.  “Naturally it is a disappointing result.  The way we played in the first half and the attitude we showed from the outset was really poor.  It is one thing being confident and another being arrogant and I thought we were in the first half.  It’s a strong word to use but credit to Marine because they were sharper than us, they made better decisions, their finishing was sharper.”

Three first half goals without reply gave NPL Marine the half-time lead as the visitors were clinical and more determined against their National League North hosts.

18 year old on-loan Finlay Sinclair-Smith scored twice after just 6 and then 38 minutes with James Murray also on the score-sheet on the half hour.  The first goal punished Saints’ sluggish start to the game, Sinclair-Smith finishing neatly.  The second goal was the product of poor defending but also excellent close control and accurate shooting while Sinclair-Smith’s second was another fine finish.

In between Marine’s goals Saints had chances to level as when Matt Lowe hit the post and keeper Martin Fearon saved with his legs again from Lowe.  But Saints could not complain about the half-time score-line.

Two goals in 4 minutes early in the second half from Adam Walker and Lowe got Brackley back in the game, Walker firing low into the corner while Lowe found the net through Fearon’s legs.

But the home side was unable to sustain the attacking momentum until late in the game when the Mariners had to defend resolutely.  In the dying minutes substitute Daniel Nti’s shot was blocked, Shaun Jeffers fired over and in added time Nti at full stretch could only turn Lowe’s cross over the bar as Marine held out for a deserved win.

“We were nine games unbeaten before today and this brings you down to earth with a bump," Wilkin said.  "We have had a terrific record in the cups and this is blot on our copybook which disappoints me.  With the greatest of respect I would expect to be doing a whole better against Marine.  But fair play to them, they’ve been ruthless in front of goal, we weren’t.  There are not too many people who come out with too much credit today to be honest.”


Brackley Town:  Lewis, Myles (Murombedzi 64), Franklin, Byrne, Hall, Dean, Fairlamb (Nti 70), Armson, Ndlovu (Jeffers 59), Lowe, A.Walker.   Subs unused:  Noon, Staff.

Marine:  Fearon, Strickland, Short, Shaw, Doyle, Hynes, Sinclair-Smith (Sang 75), Joyce, Mitchley (Davies 90+3), Murray (Hine 64), Carney.   Subs unused:  Donaldson, Mendes.


Referee:  Mark Howes       Assistants:  Alan Cox and Richard Walker

Attendance:  371