Brackley Town  2-0  Nuneaton Borough    FA Cup 2Q   25/9/18

Saints set up tie against Marine 

Kevin Wilkin’s side moved into the next round of the FA Cup at the second time of asking in this replay victory at St James Park to set up a home tie against Northern Premier League Marine.

Goals from Lee Ndlovu and Connor Hall gave Saints a commanding half-time lead and despite a late flourish from the visitors Brackley keeper Danny Lewis was untroubled all evening with Borough unable to produce a shot on target.

Adam Walker’s 25th minute shot was deflected and fell to Lee Ndlovu whose close range effort was superbly blocked by experienced defender Curtis Obeng as the home side dominated.  The opening goal was not much longer coming and was a 9th goal of the season for Ndlovu who slammed the ball into the net from Hall’s header that was touched on neatly by Jimmy Armson.

Walker shot just over from distance after a fine run before Hall doubled the lead after 37 minutes with his first St James Park goal.  It was a well worked goal up the left, Luke Fairlamb playing Hall in behind the defender and the centre half fired in off the post.

Brackley should have been home and hosed before the break as first Ndlovu and then Armson were unable to finish from good positions.

Ndlovu was again the culprit early in the second half as he shot wide set up by Adam Walker as Saints created chance after chance without punishing the Nuneaton defence.

Borough saw their opportunity to come back late on but could not capitalise on periods of better possession and it was Brackley that can now look forward to a home tie in the next round as their recent outstanding record in cup football continues.

“The clean sheet is a bonus, we scored two good goals and should have scored more but it was a professional performance,” Wilkin said.  “We were in total control of the game and we are delighted to be through.  It was another goal for Lee Ndlovu.  I keep expecting more goals from him because he gets in good positions.  He often scores one and he should be scoring more but that greater consistency is the next step for him.  His play for the team and outside the box is terrific but there are more goals to come from him.  Connor Hall had a terrific game on Saturday and again tonight.  He is a good footballer and is learning at this level.  He is progressing and if this continues he will be a big player for us.  We will enjoy tonight’s win, we look forward now to Saturday’s game against Southport and then will do our homework for the next cup game against Marine.  If we play as we can then hopefully we can progress again.”


Brackley Town:  Lewis, Myles, Franklin, Byrne, Dean, Hall, Fairlamb (G.Walker 74), Armson (Jeffers 79), Ndlovu (Nti 79), Lowe, A.Walker.   Subs unused:  Noon, Murombedzi.

Nuneaton Borough:  Belford, Obeng, Carter, Richards, Addison, Burns (Freestone 45), Baker, Kelly-Evans, Benjamin (Wharton 74), McGurk (Andoh 42), Mitchell.    Subs: unused:  Basso, Blackham, Corcoran.

Referee:   Wayne Cartmel       Assistants:  Ian Stewart and Grzegorz Kornasiewicz

Attendance:  325