AFC Telford United   2-1   Brackley Town    14/8/18

Saints fall to third defeat

Brackley’s frustrating start to the season continued at the New Bucks Head Stadium. Dominating the first half Kevin Wilkin’s side went in at the break behind and a more even second period saw Telford eventually hang on to the points in a nervy finish.

Telford’s Daniel Udoy’s long range shot beat Danny Lewis on 14 minutes to put United ahead but this should have been but an inconvenience for Saints who had begun brightly enjoying good possession, passing the ball well and on the front foot. Shep Murombedzi shot wide from Glenn Walker’s cross, Jimmy Armson fired over from 5 yards and then saw his header off target from Shane Byrne’s cross - all chances that on another day would have found the net.

Lee Ndlovu’s driving run into the penalty area was stopped only when keeper Sheridan Martinez brought him down earning the visitors an 18th minute penalty.  But Armson’s spot-kick was first saved by Martinez before Armson’s follow-up header came back off the post and was cleared.  It was a moment that summed up Saints’ season to date.

Telford grew into the game as half-time approached and the second period saw chances for both sides and more composed play from the home side. Telford captain Shane Sutton spurned a chance to extend his side’s lead directly after the break, heading over from Darryl Knight’s cross.

On occasions Saints moved the ball quickly and with precision, as on the hour when Armson turned inside finding Byrne who won a corner from which ex-Brackley defender Theo Streete cleared the in-swinging corner-kick as Telford defended in numbers. Armson shot over from Glenn Walker’s cross in another good opening as Saints pressed for the equaliser.

Wilkin made a triple substitute bringing on Smith, Fairlamb and Myles with 20 minutes remaining but Telford immediately doubled the lead, Knights turning the ball into the net with a fine finish from Adam Dawson’s cross.

Saints never stopped battling and a goal eventually came at the start of four minutes added time as substitute Gregg Smith slid in to convert Luke Fairlamb’s cross to cut the deficit. But it was not enough as Telford held on despite further late goalmouth action.


Brackley Town:   Lewis, Lowe, Franklin, Byrne, Hall, Dean, G.Walker (Fairlamb 70), Armson (Smith 70), Ndovu, Murombedzi (Myles 70), A.Walker.   Subs unused: Graham, Nti.

AFC Telford:   Martinez, White, Sears, Deeney, Sutton, Streete, Cowans, McQuilkin (Dawson 65), Brown (Royle 65), Udoh (Morgan-Smith 75), Knights.     Subs unused: Smith, Barnes-Homer.


Referee:   Michael Barlow         Assistants:     Andrew Ellis and Jack Shepherd

Attendance:   1097