Brackley Town 3-1 Alfreton Town 7/8/18

Saints roar back with win after opening day disappointment

Brackley recorded a first ever win against Alfreton and did so both emphatically and in style with two first half goals from Shep Murombedzi and a second half header from Lee Ndlovu to seal the win after the visitors had pulled a goal back through Richard Peniket.

“It’s nice to score the three goals and outside of that create so many chances,” said Kevin Wilkin. “We played some terrific attacking football. We took a bit of a chance playing one up front backed up by Shep, Jimmy and Glenn but Lee did well and I was delighted for him in getting his goal. He was at the centre of all of our best moves, worked incredibly hard and he was well supported. It worked quite nicely.”

Saints took the lead as early as the 5th minute as Murombedzi swept a loose ball into the corner of the net after good work by Ndlovu and Murombedzi doubled the advantage in the 13th minute again picking up the ball as Ndlovu was thwarted and neatly finding the goal.

Adam Walker’s fierce shot was saved at the last by keeper Sam Ramsbottom, Jimmy Armson curled a shot just wide from distance and Glenn Walker, Armson again and Ndlovu twice all went close to adding to the score-line and all before the break as Brackley turned on the style. Alfreton almost pulled a goal back as Luke Shiels headed over on 25 minutes.

Peniket reduced the lead on the hour finishing high beyond Danny Lewis but Saints restored the two goal lead in the 69th minute when Ndlovu headed past Ramsbottom from Armson’s fine cross.

Both sides had the ball in the net only to be flagged for off-side. Ramsbottom tipped Shane Byrne’s free-kick onto the cross-bar and then saved Byrne’s 25 yard effort and substitute Luke Fairlamb set up Matt Lowe whose goal-bound shot was blocked when it seemed certain he would increase Saints’ lead further.

“We are not as cohesive at the moment as we were last season,” Wilkin said. “That will improve but it is good to get a first win of the season and at home in front of our supporters.”


Brackley Town:   Lewis, Lowe, Franklin, Byrne, Hall, Dean, G.Walker (Fairlamb 75), Armson, Ndlovu (Nti 90+2), Murombedzi, A.Walker.    Subs unused: Graham, Smith, Myles.

Alfreton Town: Ramsbottom, Clifton, Wilde (Chettle 76), Platt, Lane, Shiels, Johnson (Middleton 46), Hotte, Denton, Peniket, King (Bateson 62).   Subs unused: Bacon, Nicholson.


Referee: Scott Simpson      Assistants: Les Sinclair and Mark Billingham

Attendance:  505