Brackley Town  4-2  Hayes and Yeading United      FAT 1  15/12/18

Six goal second half sends Saints through

FA Trophy holders Brackley moved into the next round after an entertaining cup tie played in atrocious conditions.

The first half was dominated by the home side who failed to capitalise on their chances.  The second period however delivered richly on goals as Saints twice went ahead only for a spirited Hayes and Yeading side to level twice before Kevin Wilkin’s team finally sealed the win late on.

“They deserved to win the game over 90 minutes but they know they were in a game for sure,” said United manager Paul Hughes.  “I am really proud that we pegged them back twice and at 2-2 I felt we started to control the game and could go on to nick it.”

For the visitors Duncan Culley went close early on but it was Brackley who were unable to make more of good opportunities in a goal-less first half.  Glenn Walker and Matt Lowe had shots cleared off the line and Hayes’ keeper Jack Smith saved well from Liam McAlinden on his first appearance on loan.

After the break the goals rattled in as Saints took the lead on 49 minutes as Adam Walker found the clinical finish that had been missing in the first half set up by Shane Byrne’s fine pass.  United were level within a minute as Culley won an aerial challenge and Hassan Jalloh’s accurate shot beat Danny Lewis.

Just after the hour Brackley were again ahead through Daniel Nti’s header from Glenn Walker’s cross.  The visitors drew level through captain Scott Donnelly’s splendid 78th minute strike from distance.

Matt Lowe put Saints back in front on 84 minutes and Smith pushed another effort by Lowe onto the post before Shaun Jeffers’ added time fourth goal as United were exposed pushing forward for a third equaliser.

“We are not showing the level of form that we did last season in winning this competition but we will get together and work to hopefully improve,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “We conceded just three times in eleven games in last season’s competition and that gives an idea of what is needed to be successful.” 

Brackley Town:   Lewis, Myles, G.Walker, Byrne, Dean, Hall, Lowe, Fairlamb, Nti (Jeffers 87), McAlinden (Ndlovu 65), A.Walker.   Subs unused:  Murombedzi, Morgan, Franklin.

Hayes and Yeading United:   Smith, Collins, Asafu-Adjaye, Olajubu (Barney 46), McDevitt, Farquharson, Donnelly, Bridges, Jalloh, Little, Culley.    Subs unused:  McCorkell, Spiers, Chamberlain, Nzala. 

Referee:  Rob Whitton     Assistants:  Josh Crofts and Ruebyn Ricardo

Attendance:   268