York City  2-1  Brackley Town   22/12/18

No ho-ho-ho for Saints

Brackley’s final ever visit to York City’s Bootham Cescent brought a narrow defeat after a closely contested but very open game between two sides battling for an up-turn in recent form.

"We put in a terrific effort and created some good moments but we haven’t been ruthless in either box,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “So we haven’t given ourselves the chance to manage the game by taking our chances or keeping a clean sheet and that has been typical of us this season.  But these are tough games and I certainly felt today we deserved something out of the game.”

City went ahead through Adriano Moke’s stunning strike from 20 yards after 16 minutes.  Recalled to the City side, Moke struck the loose ball with venom, keeping it low and finding the net just inside Danny Lewis’ left-hand post to give The Minstermen the early impetus and the home crowd something to cheer.

Saints hit back well enjoying the better of the possession and finding the equaliser in the 26th minute as Gaz Dean headed in from Shane Byrne’s corner, the captain’s first goal of the season.

York struck a blow early in the second half going ahead for a second time as Dean was penalised for hand-ball and Jordan Burrow neatly converted the penalty kick with just 48 minutes played.

Loan striker Liam McAlinden tested Adam Bartlett from close range bringing a fine one-handed save from City’s keeper and it was the visitors who threatened the next goal.  Despite pressure on Bartlett’s goal however the home team held out as Brackley failed to carve out the clear-cut opening to level again, falling instead to a third successive league defeat and departing Bootham Crescent, home to York City since 1932, with three losses from three visits. 

Brackley Town:   Lewis, Myles (Jeffers 81), G.Walker, Byrne, Dean, Hall, Lowe, Fairlamb (Murombedzi 73), Nti (Armson 64), McAlinden, A.Walker.   Subs unused:  Morgan, Franklin.

York City:  Bartlett, Dyer, Ferguson, Parslow, Tait, Bray (Langstaff 91), Moke, Law, Burrow, Ironside (Wright 64), York.   Subs unused:  Davis, Bencherif, Parkin. 

Referee:   Paul Brown         Assistants:  Kieron Salmons and Duncan Robertson

Attendance:   2119