Hereford  1-3   Brackley Town    12/1/19

Trophy run goes on

The FA Trophy holders moved into the third round with a comprehensive win at Hereford’s Edgar Street with goals from Shane Byrne, Lee Ndlovu and Shaun Jeffers while the hosts grabbed a late consolation goal through centre-back Josh Gowling.

“I am very pleased with the win and to be in the draw for the next round,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “The strikers worked really hard today and I am delighted that they both got goals because that’s what we need from our strikers, that’s why they are in the team.  We restricted Hereford to long range efforts and one or two tested Danny but he was equal to them.  When we created opportunities we took them.”

Hereford’s Kyle Flinn’s early effort clipped Danny Lewis’ cross-bar but it was the visitors quickly in charge as Matt Yates saved well from Lee Ndlovu and Gaz Dean’s header was cleared off the line.  Saints’ strong start earned an early reward through the award of a 13th minute penalty after Shaun Jeffers was fouled by Bulls captain Jordan Cullinane-Liburd.  After recent tribulations from the penalty spot it was Shane Byrne who assumed the responsibility of putting his side in front which he duly did firing high beyond Yates.

Adam Walker’s fierce effort was kept out and Shep Murombedzi’s shot flashed across goal without finding the finishing touch as the visitors took a deserved lead into the break.  That lead would have been doubled but for a controversial incident as the referee whistled for the end of the half with the ball in the air as Dean headed home.

Undeterred by the acrimonious finish to the first half, Saints came out from the break and immediately increased the lead as Matt Lowe’s determined run and fine cross was turned in by Lee Ndlovu for his 14th goal of the season.

Hereford struggled to mount a fight-back and fell further behind when fine build-up play found Shaun Jeffers ten yards out and he turned beautifully to find the bottom corner of the net with 63 minutes played.

A late flurry forced an added time consolation goal, Josh Gowling heading in, but Saints were worthy winners and through to the last 16 of the Buildbase FA Trophy for the third season running.

“We won the game but in the changing room afterwards the lads are still not happy,” Wilkin added.  “There is an inquest going on because they want to do better.  Scoring three goals away from home is not enough, they want to keep that clean-sheet.  That’s pleasing to see and it’s the spirit we want.  It’s five games unbeaten now and hopefully some momentum building for us in the league as well as the cup.” 

Brackley Town:   Lewis, Lowe, Franklin (Myles 84), Byrne, G.Walker, Dean, Murombedzi (Fairlamb 61), Armson, Ndlovu, Jeffers (Nti 90), A.Walker.   Sub unused:  McAlinden.

Hereford FC:   Yates, Thomas, Greenslade, Wharton, Cullinane-Liburd, Gowling, Richards (Dielnav77), Owen-Evans, Finn (O’Sullivan 56), Roberts (Reffell 56), Symons.    Subs unused:  Smith, Dinsley. 

Referee:  Richard Hulme           Assistants:  Matt Eva and Mark Derrien

Attendance:   1569