Hereford  0-2  Brackley Town   26/3/19

Baker strike sets up vital win

Carl Baker’s superbly executed shot rifled in from 20 yards on 18 minutes was a goal to grace any game and put Saints in the driving seat.  Hereford were always in the contest but rarely threatened Danny Lewis only once in the 90 minutes bringing a save from Brackley’s keeper.

The visitors meanwhile created a hatful of chances that they could not capitalise on and on another evening this might have cost them dear.  Lee Ndlovu scooped his effort over from Shep Murombedzi’s fine cross in a first half of few direct openings.  But in the second half Hereford’s goal led a charmed life as first Jimmy Armson passed up the chance to find the net slipping in Matt Lowe who was some how thwarted with the goal gaping.  Ndlovu was twice kept out when well positioned, Ellis Myles’ effort was pushed away by the busy Matt Yates and twice Shane Byrne’s free-kicks were close.

But the vital second goal finally came in the 75th minute, Myles’ excellent cross from the right turned past Yates by defender Jak Hickman effectively ending Hereford’s resistance.

A midweek away performance of character and resilience was Saints’ 10th win in eleven league games and the three points lifted the team that was 10th just before Christmas into 3rd place.  With competition in and around the top seven places fierce, Kevin Wilkin knows this fine run of form must continue if the dream of a top play-off place is to be realised.  

“I am absolutely delighted with the win,” Wilkin said.  “Hereford have been on a strong run unbeaten in six games.  We knew it would be difficult tonight but we stayed organised and resolute and thoroughly deserved the result again.  Carl Baker’s strike was stunning and gave us that half-time lead.  We really should have put the game to bed in the first 15 minutes of the second half and when you don’t you are always a little bit anxious but when we got the second goal we then managed the game well thereafter.  We have got some really tough games against very strong teams coming up so we take nothing for granted and we move on now to be properly prepared for the trip to Southport on Saturday.”   

Brackley Town:    Lewis, Myles (Nti 86), Murombedzi, Byrne, Hall, Dean, Lowe, Armson (Prosser 90), Ndlovu, Baker (Fairlamb 69), A.Walker.      Subs unused:  Jeffers, Jackson.

Hereford:    Yates, Hickman, Greenslade, Wesolowski (Waite 57), Cullinane-Liburd, Gowling (Ezewele 46), O’Sullivan, Owen-Evans, Richards, Smith, Symons (Finn 72).     Subs unused:    Wharton, Roberts.

Referee:  Amy Fearn          Assistants:  Liam Corbett and Andrew Genders     

Attendance:  1512