Brackley Town  2-0  Guiseley     6/4/19 

Byrne strike sends Saints on their way 

A goal late in the first half set Brackley on their way to a comfortable win over Guiseley to leave the visitors still on the fringe of the relegation places and Saints on course for a play-off spot. 

“I am delighted with the win,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “It’s another game when we had to grind the result out.  We weren’t as fluent in the first half as we have been in recent weeks but we took the lead and gained a cushion.  We probably should have scored more goals but another clean sheet is good.” 

Shane Byrne produced a finish of high quality from 15 yards after fine work initially by Jimmy Armson to send the home side into the break with a narrow lead after a largely scruffy first period in which neither side was able to impose themselves. 

Connor Hall headed Saints into a two goal lead within minutes of the half-time interval after Glenn Walker’s corner kick.  From then on Brackley enjoyed chances aplenty but were foiled by Guiseley’s resolute defending while the Lions rarely threatened a come-back. 

Brackley keeper Danny Lewis was rarely tested except for a late Andy Halls free-kick that needed a sharp save from Lewis low to his left, the ball rifled through a crowd of bodies.  

Had Michael Fowler made more of Guiseley’s best chance on the half hour the game might have taken a different course.  As it was, Brackley’s Lee Ndlovu was thwarted by Scott Garner when well placed before Jimmy Armson’s header evaded keeper Marcus Dewhurst but was just over.  Those moments led up to Saints’ opening goal and the decisive moment of the game from which third placed Brackley never looked back. 

“We bossed things really in the second half and never looked in too much danger,” Wilkin added.  “Teams are obviously aware of what we can do and set up to spoil the party of course.  But we showed versatility and what we are capable of to get what is a good win and another clean sheet.”  

Brackley Town:   Lewis, Myles, Murombedzi (Fairlamb 72), Hall, Dean, Byrne, Armson, Lowe (Sterling-James 90), Ndlovu (Nti 87), G.Walker, A.Walker.   Subs unused:  Jeffers, Prosser. 

Guiseley:    Dewhurst, Halls, Heaton, Purver, Langley, Garner, Felix (Morrison 61), James, Fowler, Hatfield (Thornton 79), Moyo.     Subs unused:  Dyche, Digie, Barkers. 

Referee:  Alex Blake        Assistants:  Mark Billingham and Mark Pearson

Attendance:   585