Stockport County  1-1  Brackley Town      17/11/18

Late header sours fine away performance

A tight first half of few chances gave way to a second half dominated by the visitors and only a 95th minute leveller denied Brackley what would have been a deserved win at in-form Stockport County.

 “We were terrific today,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “The first half was even though they had more possession without creating chances then we scored a fantastic goal and really should have put the game to bed.  When you don’t, then moments like that can come back to haunt you and today it has done and we have taken one point when it should have been three.”

Lee Ndlovu put Saints ahead on the hour with a beautifully worked goal.  Ndlovu was involved in the build-up as the ball was worked to the left for Connor Franklin to drill low and hard into the centre where Ndlovu finished neatly.

The lead was nothing less than Saints’ attacking second half play warranted.  Chances to increase the lead came and went with County pegged back before an explosive finale raised the temperature inside Edgeley Park to boiling point.

Connor Hall’s header was cleared off the goal-line, Matt Lowe slalomed the length of the pitch like a high speed towed caravan only for his shot to be deflected wide and Ben Hinchliffe saved well from Ndlovu put through by Jimmy Armson as Saints had County on the ropes.

Stockport’s manager was dismissed to the stands after an 87th minute touchline skirmish and the vocal support for the home team spurred a few late moments of pressure that brought a corner.  Left footed Scott Duxbury hit the in-swinging corner-kick to the near post and substitute Frank Mulhern’s run from the back post created the chance that his glancing header converted into a late, late equaliser to the raucous delight of Hatters supporters.

“To have played so well and with good game management for 90 minutes and then to concede as we did so late is disappointing of course,” Wilkin said.  “But if that is all I have to gripe about then we are moving in the right direction.  Lee got a real striker’s goal today, our work-rate and the organisation we showed today was right up there.  But it has happened on too many occasions now where we have outplayed a lot of sides and created a lot of chances and not finished the job so it has come back to haunt us.  That is something for us to work on.”


Brackley Town:   Lewis, Myles, Franklin, Byrne, Hall, Dean, G.Walker, Armson, Ndlovu, Lowe, A.Walker (Murombedzi 90).   Subs unused:  Fairlamb, Nti, Jeffers, Noon.

Stockport County:    Hinchliffe, Minihan, Duxbury, Keane, Palmer, Cowan, Thomas, Walker (Dimaio 68), Bell (Stephenson 68), Osborne (Mulhern 62), Warburton.    Subs unused:  Turnbull, Ormson.


Referee:  Matt Corlett           Assistants:  Richard Abson and Martin Parker

Attendance:   3449