18th September 2019

Hillier Senior Cup – First Round

Desborough Town (4) Brackley Town Saints (0) 

Saints: Crowther, Middleton (L), Wood (Stott 32), March, Brock, Thompson (Brady 59), Davies, Dowse (Hammond J 70), Hammond (M), McConnell, Kille

Sub not used – Goddard, Mickley 

An early exit from the Senior Cup this year with a young Saints side comprehensively beaten by a strong and experienced Desborough team. But this was about development for Saints with 6 of the U18 Youth side in the squad and overall a very youthful looking team. Saints made a good start and in the in the early stages they looked the more likely knocking the ball around nicely, confident on the ball and for 40 minutes probably having the upper hand and certainly enjoying the more clear cut chances.

The first of these fell to Hayden McConnell on 15 minutes when he found himself unmarked on the penalty spot but he was unable to get any power on his header following a great cross by Charlie Kille. Matt Hammond nearly got on the end of a long pass from Harry Brock, and then on 23 minutes Hammond wriggled free on the right side of the box and pulled the ball back to Kille who blasted over from 10 yards.

Desborough did not have an attempt on goal in the first 30 minutes although Matt Crowther had to be sharp off of his line to deny Nat Ansu who nearly took advantage of an under hit back pass. On 32 minutes Dan Wood had to leave the field with concussion after a clearance hit him square in the face. Saints reorganised with Alex Stott replacing Wood and with Kille slotting in at left back. Saints concentration seemed to have lapsed and for 10 minutes Desborough began to assert themselves on the game. In the first minute of added time a long ball down the middle eluded the Saints defence and found Ansu who neatly chipped in over the advancing Crowther.

Within 60 seconds Crowther was again picking the ball out of the net. Saints fell asleep and allowed Desborough to work the ball down the right side of the penalty area and the cross that followed was diverted into his own net by James Thompson.

Unbelievably Desborough added a third before the break with Stuart McMichael finding far too much room through the centre of Saints defence before he slotted confidently past Crowther to effectively seal the game.

Saints started the second half brightly but were unable to create any clear cut chances. On 59 minutes Brady replaced Thompson to make his Saints debut. Crowther was becoming busy and needed to make a couple of very good saves to prevent Desborough from extending their lead. At the other end Matt Hammond delivered a fine 30 yard pass to McConnell but as he controlled the ball into the area the threat was snuffled out before he could get a shot away. The only shot on target in the second half came at the end of a Lester Davies run which was thwarted by a defensive tackle but the ball ricocheted and nearly cleared Jones who needed to stretch to keep the ball out. On 60 minutes James Hammond replaced Ethan Dowse.

The game was settled on 70 minutes when a fine individual goal by Phil Dashit put paid to thoughts of a fightback. The final 20 minutes was played out in the knowledge that the game was ended as a contest. Saints created 2/3 shooting opportunities but none really tested the keeper.

Overall an entertaining game played in a good spirit, and unless I missed anything no bookings. Good luck to Desborough in your quest to make the final at Sixfields…

Saints are back to league action on Saturday with a trip to Bishops Cleeve.